Tuesday 8 November 2016

Mirroring

I was very apprehensive about mirroring these characters, because up until this point I had spent a week on modelling them, so I was hoping that everything would go smoothly with minimal set backs.
Fortunately, the mirroring process went well and other than having to make a few small tweaks in certain areas down the centre of the character, there were no issues. After this point, the only areas left that needed modelling was the hair on both characters, their noses and their mouths. I decided to leave these areas until after the mirroring process because I knew it would give me a clearer perception of how things would look. 

Developing The Faces




I began building the noses of the character out from the face, which proved to be much easier now that I could see the whole of the mesh and not just half. The nose on the first character was very small and quite rounded, so this was just a matter of extruding out a singular face and then adding in some extra edge loops.


I went ahead and did the same with the second character. However the nose on this character was designed to be much more angular and prominent. I went about this by extruding the three central faces of where the nose would be. It was then a matter of moving the verts to the appropriate places, and scaling down the edges to ensure it was straight.


 How Did This Go?

At this point I was left feeling very happy with my progress, especially knowing that the end of this process is no near. At this moment in time, the only areas left to model are the hair and the mouths of both characters.

After this development, I have started to feel much more confident in myself as a generalist practitioner. I have come to realise that the modelling process in 3D is something I really enjoy, and I value the skills I have been reminded of and gained so far, just as much as the skills required for 2D design.










No comments:

Post a Comment