Wednesday 12 October 2016

First Tutorial

After narrowing down my area of focus for my dissertation, this made things feel so much clearer in my head because there was a lot more focus, and I didn't feel like there was a risk of me going off on a tangent.

My first one to one tutorial with Annabeth was actually useful, and I left feeling really determined and ready to tackle this module. During the tutorial there were some key points covered which I know will really help me in terms of research, for my writing as well as my practical side.

I came out with a clearer idea of the necessary areas of research I need to undertake. The areas we discussed were:


  • Look at Pictoplasma and try to find some of their talks online 
  • Contact Brothers McLeod and attend their talk on Character Aesthetics in November 
  • Look ahead to see who will be attending MAF so I know who to talk to 
  • Research the cultural evolution of well known Western character's over the years, such as Tom & Jerry. 
  • How much control do the character designers actually have over the medium of animation? 
In terms of the practical side, I also came away with a much clearer understanding of how to address it. Since I know what my practical side will be, I need to make sure that I animate the same action for the characters across both mediums, in order to make it a fair and valid comparison. Also it was stressed to me how important the intellectual side of the design work is, so it is important for me to think about what my characters will represent. 

  • Designing three characters seems more appropriate - this means the final character can be influenced by the feedback received on the first two. 
  • What do my characters's represent? - think about race/sexuality/political standing/gender/mentality
  • It doesn't matter that my audience isn't clear at this point, this will be determined by the work and research carried out. 
  • I need to allow my research to guide my design work - so I shouldn't assume something is finalised too early on.
  • I must also keep some time aside to become comfortable with Maya again
  • I have also decided that I need to keep developing my understanding of Animate CC
  • DRAWING DRAWING DRAWING 

No comments:

Post a Comment