Saturday 29 October 2016

Influence from the research.

Over the course of this module so far, I have gathered a substantial amount of research, all of which supports many different arguments. At the early stages of researching, I found myself having the assumption that most of my research would support, primary and secondary, would suggest that 2D is now being outgrown by more modernised 3D animation. However after carrying out some primary research and getting into contact with practitioners, I found myself becoming more enlightened, and realising that this is not necessarily the case.

After getting into contact with Emma Reynolds, who works for Kilogramme Animation Studio, but who is also a freelance Illustrator and Animation art-worker, I was able to hear her view point on the topic, which actually turned out to be really different to what I had anticipated:

Firstly, this feedback from Emma does support some of the arguments I will be wanting to discuss in my dissertation, such as the fact that "appeal" relies on many aspects, not just visual, as well as the fact that 3D animation has definitely become a lot more mainstream. However the significant part of this feedback that really made my perspective on the topic change:

"- If we're talking about television series though, not just feature films - 2D animation is having a massive boom. With the tax break in the UK allowing companies such as Cosgrove Hall Fitzpatrick to start up again, and Mackinnon and Saunders Digital among others, it's a great time to graduate as a 2D animator with many more jobs available than say 7 years ago.
Adventure Time, Stephen Universe, Regular Show, Rick and Morty - All 2D and immensely popular. And then there's 2D series that have been going on for a lot longer and remain popular such as Futurama and South Park."

This statement from Emma, really made me realise that when it comes to the area of TV series, 2D animation is still hugely popular. Also, the reasonings she has given for why she believes 2D is still so poplar were not vague, she also referred to the financial aspects that have changed in the UK, which have allowed specific studios who work in 2D to thrive. This was particularly interesting and useful research for me, because up until this point, I feel I was slightly unaware of how popular 2D animation is in this area, despite being familiar with all of the shows she mentioned! 

This has completely opened my mind, because up until now I think I was slightly blinded by the fact that all I was seeing in cinemas was 3D animation, as well as old well known 2D characters being brought back in the form of 3D. After gaining this feedback from Emma, my perspective on this topic has become much more broad, and I feel it has opened up new doorways for research. It has also reminded me of the importance of keeping my research open and non-biased. 

No comments:

Post a Comment