Saturday 29 October 2016

Time to begin Modelling!

After design work for my two characters was well underway, I decided that beginning to model as soon as possible would be a good idea. As long as I had the reference imagery to go off, then I was able to persevere with it. At this point, I had not yet completed all concept work, however I felt I had enough to begin the modelling process and decided it was good practice to crack on with it, because I didn't this process to take longer than needed, because I will still need to animate them in 2D & 3D, as well as doing the same with a third character.


I began by using two of the drawings from my sketchbook as reference, which would then allow me to draw the front and side on drawings needed for me to import into Maya. At this point I didn't worry about making them coloured, I just needed to line work so I had something to work with. 



I decided to leave a holes on the side drawings where the arms would be, because I felt that in Maya I could have a better view of the arm contraction through the front and perspective view. I began with "Toby" who is the character of a young boy. 


I had to get used to the fact, that unlike the character in Matt's tutorials, there were no geometry lines on this character. However this wasn't a problem as I was able to easily figure out with reference to the imagery what would work and what wouldn't.  

This time, I was very aware that the physical build of this character is much skinnier and smaller than the characters I have previously modelled. His head size is also large in relation to his body. I wanted his body to look skinny and for his clothes to look slightly too big for him, to reinforce the fact that he is only a child.





How Did I Find It?

I found the first section of the modelling process to be quite therapeutic, however I had to keep reminding myself that the proportions of this character are not supposed to be anatomically correct. I found myself flicking between the front, side and perspective view second guessing my design, however I decided to just keep going with it, because at this point, it was just a half a body mesh without hair or clothing.

However, after making myself get back into the swing of Maya previously, I feel I got off to a good start!








No comments:

Post a Comment