Saturday 29 October 2016

Getting Used To The Software - Maya

As part of my preparation for my practical side of the work, I knew from the beginning that I would need to put some time aside to re-familiarise myself with Maya. I had previously become quite comfortable with using Maya after our second year Character and Narrative module. Since then, Maya has changed slightly, so I thought it best to spend some time getting back into the swing of it, in order to make my practical work go as smoothly as possible.

I decided the best way to become more familiar with the new Maya 2017 was to use the tutorial's provided the year before, by my tutor Matt. Although these were created in the old version of Maya they proved to be extremely useful. I began following his step by step tutorials again of building a character.

Through out the process of following these tutorials again, I found myself quickly remembering the key tools and techniques required for creating and modelling characters in Maya.  Although this character was not the same as the designs I had created, it was still extremely useful, as I came away after spending just an hour on it and I felt much more capable and confident to begin using Maya again.


What did I gain from this?

One of the most useful things I took away with me after sitting to re-familiarise myself with the software, was the fact that certain parts of the anatomy that I couldn't remember how to build, such as the shoulder and the neck.

After playing about for a while, I felt much more familiar with the tools and the terminology. For example, I quickly felt confident again when it came to manipulating the vertices, faces and edges. This is something that I hadn't fully remembered since this time last year.


No comments:

Post a Comment