Sunday 22 March 2015

Extra 500 words - Gender in animation

Further Thoughts

I have a particular interest in this topic, because I think gender representation is is an issue which is not only extremely prominent but has also changed dramatically over the years, particularly in animation. Many examples of old artwork used for different purposes, and examples of animations have all represented women in a range of ways. More traditional animations have definitely represented women as these domestic figures, who know their place and do what they are told. I have noticed this when watching older disney adaptation such as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Cinderella. 

I think there is an issue when it comes to the representation of men in animation, in traditional and contemporary examples. There is often a lack of a male role until he is needed to save the woman which I think waters down the characterisation of the man. The attempt of making the woman the leading role often results in the lack of the other sex being incorporated into a large chunk of the story. Also, in more modern day animations, the females are often made to seem like the more likeable characters, this is sometimes achieved by the men being created as quite bone idol or less likeable. However when we think about it, there isn't always anything that special about the women, they just seem so likeable because of how they are compared to other characters. 




I think it is important to remember that when it comes to the issue of sexualization of women, it doesn't always apply to just the leading role. Sexual appeal is often given to the less friendly female roles, because it not only allows them to look distinct in their won way, but lets face it - their attractiveness makes us love them just as much. With both Villains and good characters, certain aspects are often exaggerated to the point where they are completely unrealistic. For example, the use of overly enlarged eyes, voluptuous or petite bodies - both extremes add to the character appeal. I think when watching a film and being hooked to the what your watching, it is easy to forget how unrealistically drawn these characters are. The male characters are often a lot more well proportioned, which again just highlights the issue of the attractiveness of the female roles. 

In my opinion, Studio Ghibli provides a much more realistic and equal representation of gender in comparison to areas such as Disney. Not just visually but also when it comes to the personalities of its characters. Men and women seem to be much more on a par with one another, intact that are more cases where the higher authority is given to the female roles. 

I think as a future designer it is my responsibility to show variation in my work. I have quite a distinct style which I am trying not to brand myself with. I think it is important to show a a range of characteristics and appearances in my future work. I don't want my work to influence people in the negative way that some recent animations have.

No comments:

Post a Comment