Thursday 12 March 2015

Why I did I Design them this way?

When design these two characters, I was trying to represent the different, typical ways females are represented through their physical appearance in animation, and how this can alter people's opinions of them before they are fully introduced to the character. This is why, when designing Sythe, I gave her certain features which enhanced her physical attractiveness, such as larger breasts and an  unrealistically small waist with extremely large hips. Aside from the fact that she is designed to not look entirely human, I have still given her these features because she needs to have an element of attractiveness in order to make her more appealing. The is something which has been done with many other female villain characters, for example, Cruella De Ville was given a similar, exaggerated model like body shape and made to be much taller than other characters. Maleficent's body shape was not a prominent factor due to her cape, however the delicateness of her hands and the fluidity of her movements made her very appealing because it was so frighting but beautiful at the same time.

When designing Peach, I was particularly inspired by Victoria Everglott, from Tim Burton's Corpse Bride. She is given a very small rounded face, with extremely large eyes which makes her look slightly vulnerable but beautiful at the same time. This is what I wanted to go for with my own character design. I gave her a typically small frame because in comparison with Sythe, I wanted her to seem more delicate.

I understand that these features I have given to these characters are not a realistic interpretation of the way women look in real life. I have simply been trying to show my representation of the way in which women's physical appearances are changed and exaggerated purely for purposes of appeal and sexual attractiveness, no mater how subtle. I have treated these characters as though their physical appearance is the only thing we have to go off for the time being, because I think it is important to think about how the attractiveness or unattractiveness of a female character can alter the first impressions we have on them .

No comments:

Post a Comment