Thursday 12 March 2015

Scythe - Final Design



When drawing this final design I took other aspects into consideration too, such as a name for this villain and the use of colour. I decided to name her "Scythe" because this is a word which is associated with cutting and ripping things apart, however it doesn't sound too over the top, and when it is said outside it sounds quite intimidating , but not to the point where it looses its effect. I chose to make the main colour scheme for her clothes red and black because these are two very intimidating colours. Also, a lot of well known villains are given black as their main colour for clothing. I thought if I made the dress red, it would  be intimidating in contrast with the black, but it would also add to the attractiveness f the way she looks. (When trying to decide on the colour, the image of Jessica Rabbit came into my head) The redness adds femininity as well as authority. I thought the head piece and hair should be black because the contrast works well. The head piece sort of relates to armour, so it gives off the impression that she is a strong character. I decided not to give her the normal skin colour, I think the blue gives off the impression that she is not entirely human, as does the exaggerated muscle and rib cage. Even though I have tried to make her sexually appealing, I wanted her to not look friendly. I want her to seem like quite a graceful character, who moves around well because I think this adds to the authority she would have, so I have tried to make her look as fluid as I can in this drawing. 

Although she is supposed to be a villain, I have tried to give her an element of physical attractiveness that would make her more appealing at a first glance, because when designing these characters I have been focusing on the assumption people will make of them before they get to know them properly, that is why I have been focusing on the physical appearance of them because this is what influences our interpretations of characters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment