Wednesday 27 April 2016

Colour testing

I decided to take the two designs I was the happiest with, these were also the two that received the most positive feedback. I placed these into photoshop and began to produce some different versions and experimented quite a bit with colour. I knew that I was going about this process in quite a strange order, however I felt as though I wanted to have a better idea of the characters' colour schemes before experimenting with shapes, because I felt that if I had a better idea of the colours that would be used, It would be easier to settle on the final physical builds for these characters.


 For the Chef character, I experimented with three contrasting colour schemes for the skin and hair. Although I liked all of them, I felt that the most appropriate choice was the first. This is because, the black hair and darker skin, were too similar to what I had in mind for the Manager. I wanted there to be some contrast there.
With the Manager Character it took me longer to settle on the specific facial features, so I used played around with different combinations, as well as some differentiations in the skin tones. I knew that this character would need to have very dark hair, since it's design is to make it look very slicked back and in place. This is why the colours for the Chef needed to be just slightly lighter, because this would help reflect their personalities too (especially since there wouldn't be much dialogue in this story.)



I settled on the colours for the clothing of both characters quite quickly, because I had them in mind from quite early on. However I did struggle to settle on a final colour scheme for the manager. After producing these tests I realised that the skin tones I had sampled were slightly too yellowy, and I felt this was too big of a contract between the two characters. They looked physically very different, therefore one of their connecting features needing to be skin tone.

I decided that the best way to go about this was to use the eye drop tool in Photoshop, to take the same colourings that I used for the Chef and to then alter them to his face. This seemed to work much better, because the contrast between the two was no longer too extreme and they looked much more compatible with each other. I didn't however, want them to look related, which was also why I knew it would be best to give the Chef lighter hair. This is also why I thought it would be better to give her curly hair, because it would separate these two characters and make it less likely for the viewing audience to make the assumption that they might be related. 

I decided to go with skin tones that would suggest these characters are not of a British origin, because I felt that this, in combination with the environmental setting would work well, and it would make it easier for the audience to figure out where the story is set. 



No comments:

Post a Comment